30 March, 2011

Staying on the Green Side of the grass.

Pun intended of course!

My current project is producing reusable grocery bags.  Youknow, like the ones you get for $0.99 at any grocery store across the country?  I'm hoping it takes off.  I have a few different styles and sizes, and franklymine are prettier and don't have store logos on them.




I got the pattern on-line on About.com, and it is great.  When inished they look just like a paper grocery bag, except they have handles.  The best part about it, is that once I got used to the porportions of the bags, I can now make them in nearly any size!  For your average bag, ou want the side panels' width to be 1/5 the of the entire length of the front/back panel., and you want the width of the front/back to be equal to the length, minus 1/5 divided by 2.

I know it sounds complicated, but if you take a piece of fabric in hand, and work on the dimensions from there, you will see that it works.  It's a great way to figure out the size if you are making bags from remnants (As I am) and don't necessarily have the exact yardage that the pattern calls for.

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful!! How much would you charge for the average size bag and what fabric do you use? Can't wait to see photos!!
    ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use cotton canvas that I buy in remnants. The average size bag, like you would get at the store, would be $5.00.

    Because I am just starting out on this idea, I'd love to know what you think of the price. I will post pictures this evening.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete